The latest medication prescribed to prevent HIV with:
- Reduced side effects
- The same efficacy rate as generic Truvada (99%)
- 85% of private insurance patients qualifying for free Descovy
What is Descovy for PrEP?
Descovy for PrEP is a daily pill prescribed to adults and adolescents at risk of contracting HIV. If taken correctly, Descovy lessens the chance of contracting HIV during sex by more than 99%.
How is Descovy different from generic Truvada?
Descovy is similar to generic Truvada. It was created to help patients avoid the adverse effects generic Truvada may have on kidney function and bone health. This was accomplished through the production of a new formulation of tenofovir called TAF (tenofovir alafenamide).
Accessibility is the largest distinction between Descovy & generic Truvada for PrEP. If you have private insurance: Freddie helps most patients get Descovy for free.
Our Care Coordinators and pharmacists will help you access financial assistance programs so that all co-pays are waived.
What are the side effects of Descovy?
Descovy has fewer side effects compared to generic Truvada. Potential side effects include:
- Diarrhea, Nausea, Headache, Fatigue, Stomach pain, Weight gain
Side effects from Descovy are uncommon. If they do occur, they are usually temporary and subside after the first few days/weeks.
Daily PrEP Dosing
- Take one pill by mouth at the same time each day. Can be taken with or without food
- If you miss a dose, take the tablet as soon as you remember. If it is less than 12 hours till your next dose, wait until next dose. Do not double dose.
- Taking PrEP as prescribed gives 99% protection, this decreases if not taken as directed.
- Time to protection: 7 days to achieve protective levels in anal tissue/for anal sex
- PrEP does not protect against sexually transmitted infections other than HIV and has no contraceptive effect. Condoms are recommended even if you are on PrEP
- If you plan on stopping prep, please indicate this in your portal for instructions and safety information.
- Descovy is not approved for use with PrEP on Demand or those with vaginal tissue.