The short answer is yes! The province of Alberta fully covers generic Truvada (PrEP) prescriptions for folks with valid Alberta Health Coverage.
Freddie’s clinicians are designated PrEP prescribers who can prescribe PrEP to eligible patients.
Even though generic Truvada prescriptions are covered provincially in Alberta, some non-partner pharmacies may charge co-pay or dispensing fees.
Some non-partner pharmacies may be unaware of how to appropriately bill a generic Truvada prescription through the province of Alberta. If you have received a prescription for Truvada from Freddie and your pharmacy is attempting to bill you for the entire prescription, please have your pharmacist refer to “Pharmacy Benefact 762”.
Your pharmacy should be able to use the information present in the “Pharmacy Benefact 762” to navigate billing eligible generic Truvada prescriptions to the province of Alberta.
Affirming Care Pharmacy is a partner pharmacy with Freddie, and will be able to successfully process your prescription. Your cost for PrEP will be $0 (There will be no co-pay or dispensing fees.)
Affirming Care Pharmacy can also provide the following services that you may not receive from other non-partner pharmacies:
- Free discreet prescription delivery to your home, office or another preferred location (for all your prescriptions, not just PrEP)
- Insurance specialists to help you navigate your coverage
- At-home STI swab kits (received with your prescription delivery)
- Vaccinations & other in-person services
- Truvada & Descovy is always in stock and ready to ship
- Direct communication between the Freddie Patient Care team & the Affirming Care team to ensure we can efficiently resolve any questions or issues on your behalf
If you would like to have your generic Truvada prescription transferred over to Affirming Care Pharmacy, please notify Freddie’s support team and they can assist with this.